This beautiful SAN DAMIANO wall cross from Italy is hand-made from Olive Wood.
In the 12th Century, an unknown Umbrian artist painted the Crucifix Icon of the famous San Damiano Cross from Italy.
It was more than likely painted for San Damiano to hang over the Altar as the Blessed Sacrament was not reserved in non Parish Churches of those times and especially those that had been abandoned and neglected as we know San Damiano had been.
In 1257 the Poor Clares left San Damiano for San Giorgio and took the Crucifix with them. They carefully kept the Cross for 700 years.
In Holy Week of 1957, it was placed on public view for the first time over the new Altar in San Giorgio's Chapel in the Basilica of St Clare of Assisi.